Friday, October 3, 2008

Fair is not the same as Equal

Growing up with 3 brothers and no sisters I often thought my life was not fair. My brothers all got new football/basketball/baseball shoes while I got nothing. The boys would do things I thought sounded great, and I would stay home with mom. I remember saying many times "IT'S NOT FAIR!" My dad would calmly say "It may not be equal but it is fair."
There was one time that my brothers all really wanted pogs. Their friends had them, they knew how to play with them, etc. I had never heard of them but since my brothers were getting them, I REALLY NEEDED THEM. I did get a set, but I never used them. That was the first time I understood what my dad was saying. I did not need the experiences/stuff/time my brothers were getting. We were getting what we needed. And there would be times that I would get more than my brothers. Later, I was earning money at jobs, and my brothers were saying "IT"S NOT FAIR!" And the response was that I was working hard to earn it.

This was a big concern tonight as I listened to the Joe Biden/Sarah Palin debate. I heard Joe Biden say, and I've heard it attributed to Barack Obama that it is not fair that some are rich and some are poor. Lately I've been on the poor side of things. Even though life is full of stress and we have no extras I don't think we need to be saved. I REALLY don't think that money needs to be taken from someone who is wealthy so that I can have more. We've talked about how great we'll feel when we've worked ourselves out of this hole we're in. I really don't see us feeling that way if we don't.

Not a big McCain fan, but I don't like Socialism and I don't believe Barack Obama is good for our country.