Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Heart Day Traditions

When I was young I have memories of making our valentines. We never bought our valentines to take to the class. We'd get construction paper, cut it into hearts and glue on candy from the bulk bins. I can still smell the hot glue gun. I can't remember any of the sayings we'd come up with for the bit-o-honey and peppermint patties, but I'd spend a lot of time making each one personal.

Another tradition was the cookies my mom would bake and frost. They'd be personalized with our names (and with a long name like mine that was quite a talent.)When I got married this was a tradition I was determined to keep.
The first year was extravagant. We made personalized cookies for all of E's siblings, my siblings, and our parents. I even did letters. That's effort. E was a big help.
The next three years consisted of rush jobs to get it done. I don't know who I gave them to, but some went to family, some went to neighbors, and some went to coworkers. In 2008, M had a cookie with her name on it, but I made sure to eat it before anyone saw what her name was going to be.
This year, we're decorating cookies with our friends. Then later in the afternoon we'll decorate a few more with our cousins. E will be at class on decorating day, but he is always willing to eat.
The tradition will continue to change as our family does. Come on over, we'll put your name on a cookie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your post! I remember some of your homemade valentines, I was a recipient. I commend you for all your cookie efforts, I think that's really special. Me? I feel good to get sprinkles and conversation hearts on mine. Happy Valentine's Day!

Tina said...

That is a good idea for a Valentine's tradition. Those cookies look so good! Maybe I'll have to steal your tradition :)