Friday, September 12, 2008

Money Woes

E has gone back to school. This is a great thing because he can study something he loves, and eventually get a job that he likes. The big problem is the money. We were just hanging on before, now what. Plan 1 is to rent out our basement. So, that means cutting our living space in half. Yucky, yes. Doable, yes. Uncomfortable, of course. Worried about how to get 2 kids to nap and still get stuff done in such a small space, absolutely. Plan 2 is for me to get a job. You know, during that time that I like to be sleeping. Something cool and sophisticated like a cashier, or independent delivery contractor*. Plan 3 is to sell off everything I think I need to keep, but really don't. I think I'll follow Peter's tip and take pictures of everything. Then the next time you come to my house I can show you the scrapbook filled with pics of my old teaching supplies. How fun. Plan 4 is to cut back. You know, stop eating real meat and cheese. Don't go out to eat, etc. etc. Thank Heavens the internet is a business necessity. I think this is the toughest step. Plan 5 is illegal, so we won't do it. Plan 6 is dangerous and illegal, so we'll steer clear of that one too.
I am totally willing to make these sacrifices if it means we get on a better track financially, and E is happy in what he does. I do hope that 10 years from now I can be posting about how fun our new hot tub is, or how cool our vacation was. I'll dream about that during my 2 hours of sleep.

*paperboy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I shouldn't laugh because its serious but your plan 5 being illegal cracked me up! Does it include selling body parts? I always tell John we have a kidney each that we aren't using. Might as well make it an investment.
You just have to think about it as being temporary. I am always wanting new things and I just have to tell myself when the kids are in school full time I can go back to school and then get a real job. After we are back to 2 income family I can finally buy that sectional I want.
I am laughing at the paperboy too. My sister actually did that for a year. That job is tough!

harmonie said...

Ooooh! I hadn't thought of selling organs. Maybe that'll be idea #7. Paperboy is the one that fits into the schedule best. But, I'm real hesitant to start that. Especially as the weather gets colder.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is, hang in there. Answers will come, have faith. Sorry about being preachy, but it's the only good answer I've got. Hey, what does Ethan want to do for a career?

harmonie said...

Thanks Melissa. I wouldn't trade our challenges for anyone else's, ya know?

Ethan want to be a plant breeder. Dirty,huh.

Hayley said...

I hear you on this. I think no matter what your job/family situation is everyone feels like resources are somehow limited. We recently had a budget cut back (family budget). I am known for taking the easy route especially when it comes to fixing dinner so, not eating out was a big adjustment but totally doable. Also staying home as opposed to going to visit family to save on gasoline is totally doable. Good luck!