Monday, September 1, 2008

Help (A Reunion Tale)

Sleep doesn't happen for R outside of his bed. If we are lucky they'll happen in the car, but even that is iffy. So, while we are camping sleeping in the tent is most likely NOT going to happen.
Friday we arrived at the reunion earlier than most. People were still trickling in after dark. Because of the noise and commotion, I let R stay up about an hour after bedtime then I kissed him goodnight, gave him his blankie and left him in the tent. Having the heart of stone I do, I left him to cry even when others told me they heard him. He stopped crying after a couple minutes, and I smugly admired my own parenting skills. I grabbed my lantern to help an uncle find a tent spot a few minutes later, and headed up the path that passes my tent. R had unzipped the window of the tent a crack, and was pulling it open as much as he could. All I could see were fingers, and little eyeballs. When he saw me, he said, Hi Mom. I R. Help.
So much for my parenting skills and having my son asleep before midnight.

This pic was taken the next day. You can see his unzipping skills improved. He asked everyone who passed to "help." He even pantomimed opening the tent for one aunt. I'm just glad he does sleep well in his bed.

2 comments:

bret and family said...

we had a great time last weekend! you guys are so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Kids never sleep when you go camping! We took the boys camping last summer and I think they finally crashed at 2am. that was after we put them down at 9. My boys are even cool about sleeping new places too. So don't be too hard on yourself about it. Its a camping curse!