Saturday, August 9, 2008

Tragedy=Reality Check

I grew up in a small town where everyone knows everyone. So when a tragedy happens it touches the lives of LOTS of people. Yesterday, three men from my hometown were lost in a plane crash. My heart skipped a beat and I went numb for a moment when I heard. My heart aches for their families. A good friend of mine is now a widow with 4 small children.
It made me stop and think about my family. I don't know how I would cope is I lost someone close to me in a tragedy like this. I guess you just keep plugging along. You can't wrap everyone in bubble wrap and stay in your house forever.
It also made me think about those preparations I need to make to protect my family "just in case." Like life insurance, wills, etc.
Most of all it it made me give everyone a hug and tell them how much I love and appreciate them. It is hard to not question why these things happen. My mother's aunt lives in the same town. She is well into her 90's and is ready to "go home." Why were these young men taken from their families when there are those who have lived full lives that are ready to go? Life is so short and we don't know the plan. All we can do is live every minute and have faith.
Off to play with my kids.

No comments: