Yard Sale Day is done. I have a sunburn and a couple hundred dollars in my pocket to prove it. And the house lost another 312 pounds! Yard Sales are a tricky thing for me. I feel very vulnerable with all my stuff (that I don't want/need anymore) strewn about my lawn in the hopes that someone wants it, and will give me money for it. I can be overly sensitive person so I had to break out the thick skin to not cry when people make stinky faces at my stuff. I know that yard sales are all about getting a bargain, but when I have already marked something $1.00 that cost me 25.00 (and it is still in the original plastic seal) is it wrong of me to not accept the offer of .25?
Now to the books. I did let a few go. I was happy when a book went home with a little girl/boy who was excited about their new treasure. Some of the books went home with a soon-to-be new mother who said she doesn't have any yet. So I was okay with that. And, the rest came back into my home. I was a stickler with the prices for most people. I may say that it was because those books were still in great condition around 20% of the original price, but it is probably because deep down I didn't want to get rid of them. The books were the only thing that came back in the house. The rest of the stuff went to D..I. I loved the fact that it was other educators that voted "keep your books" in my poll. The love of books/love to teach go hand in hand.
I'm exhausted. My Sister-in-Law and partner in yard sale crime agreed to not encourage me to have another one for at least 2 years. Let our good "stuff" pile up again. And let us forget how much work they are.
Saturday, July 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Whooo Hooo!! on keeping your books. I'm impressed that you kept your thick skin on and didn't cry. I would definitely struggle with that!!
We had one yard sale and I hated every minute of it. We had mostly hispanic people who spoke little english. I think the only phrase they knew was to ask to pay .25 for everything.
We have a garage full of stuff and John and I both agree we will just D.I. it. Not worth the hassle.
Post a Comment