For the past 15 years my dad has been the race director of a triathlon in my hometown. For the past 5 years I have dropped everything to go help him. Now I am not an athlete. I want to move to a house that doesn't have stairs I'm so lazy. But, I love going to help "run" the triathlon. It is such an accomplishment to complete one. There is an awesome spirit of camaraderie with everyone involved. Some neat memories I have over the years:
* A 70 year old man ran the event after a hip replacement. He was the last racer to finish, and the boy scouts that had been volunteering at water stations ran the last mile with him.
* A woman's tire seriously needed air. She didn't have a pump. A fellow racer passing by stopped and helped her get back on track.
* A husband and wife had a goal to get in shape, and did every step of the race together including crossing the finish line.
* A woman (part of a team) ran her part of the race and finished. Then ran with her husband for a while, the waited for another racer who was struggling.
I don't think I will ever run a triathlon, but I'm grateful I get to help run one.
No comments:
Post a Comment