Today I listened to a memorial on the radio. Part of the program was recordings from various radio programs in New York City on September 11, 2001. It was hard to listen to the confusion and pain. They had recordings from air traffic controllers, and goodbye messages people left on their loved ones voicemail. It brought tears to my eyes to listen to those who saw these things happen, and those who escaped the collapse. I didn't want to listen. I wanted to turn it off and go back to playing or doing something that did not remind me of that day. But I stayed. I think it is important to remember how I felt that day. I was trying to wake up for my day when the news was on my radio. It was early in the day, even in New York. I really wasn't sure what I was hearing was real. Sadly, it was. I went upstairs, and watched the TV with my Grandfather for several hours. Then, headed off to my college classes like "normal." It had a huge impact on my life, and I was a single young woman in Utah. I know that there are lots of people out there who don't like George Bush. I know there are lots of people who think we should not be fighting in Iraq, etc. I know that if I listen to most of the news and hear the spin that is out there I could be hardened and calloused about this war. But today, I was reminded deep in my heart why I am thankful for those who are fighting for our country. I firmly believe that they are fighting there, so the battle is not brought here.
So today I hang our American flag, and I drive with my lights on to remember those who were lost, those who lost loved ones, and the great men and women who fight for our freedom every day. I hope you do the same.
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment