Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Recipe Wednesday: Blondies

These are the BEST cookies I've made in ages.  For real people. I am choosing to blame it on the change in elevation, humidity, oven (and possibly the chickens that lay eggs around here) but I have not been able to bake treats since we moved here.  These treats are so quick to put together, they are easy to customize to what you have around, and they are yummy. 

This recipe makes an 8X8 size batch (perfect for our family right now, no leftovers to stare at me)
Spray your pan with nonstick spray

Melt 1/2 cup butter
Add:
1 cup brown sugar (dark brown sugar is even better.)
1 egg (slightly beaten
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. baking powder
1/8 t. baking soda
a pinch of salt
1 cup flour
1/3 cup of mix in of your choice. (I had milk chocolate and white chocolate chips  I probably added 1/3 cup each.)

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes*.  At this point the top is probably brown and looking done.  I covered my pan with foil and cooked for additional time (check every 5 minutes) until a knife came out MOSTLY clean.  I left it a little goey and let them sit until cooled.  YUM! I have not had any trouble with the recipe doubled.
Next time I am going to add toasted walnuts.  Or some milk duds. Maybe nuts and coconut?

*ETA: The cooking time SO varied when my family made these in elevation 4000 peet higher than mine. You will probably have to do some experimentation.  For me, a 2nd bowl to lick clean is not a problem.  Plus, people don't usually complain about gooey cookies, so when in doubt, undercook them.

PS
These are BLONDIES.  E kept calling them brownies but they have no chocolate. Please don't call them brownies.  The brown sugar (molasses) flavor is the star of the show.
ETA: Not sure why it bugged me so bad that day.  If you want to call them brownies I will not be angry.

No comments: