Thursday, May 21, 2009

Endodontic surgery--(yucky warning)

Today I had what I thought was going to be a consultation with an endodontist. Turns out, it was not. It was the real thing. I had a surgical procedure done commonly called an apicoectomy. It was worse than previously thought. The infection had taken both root tips, and the bone inbetween them. Luckily it had not broken through my sinuses as it had been leaking out the boil that was at the front of my gums. He filled the whole (where the bone used to be) with freeze dried bone that looked like Cream of Wheat. Then he used some collagen as a filler. I wondered if he could do my lips while he was at it, but there were 3 people with their hands in my mouth and a great big hole in my gums so I just thought it. Sutures have to be in for 2 weeks.

I am a big wimp when it comes to dental work, but this was a lot easier than the root canal that caused the problem. I do wish I had had some kind of relaxant. My neck muscles are all out of whack from holding them so tense.

In spite of the bill and stress, I am SO GLAD to have it taken care of . Woo Hoo!

No comments: