Monday, January 15, 2007

The Balloon Festival that Wasn't

This past weekend I packed up the baby and headed to my hometown to go see the Balloon Festival in nearby Bluff. The rumor was there were 31 hot air balloons signed up to attend, and this 9th year would be the best yet. Unfortunately, there were two competing cold fronts that kept the area too windy for the balloons to go up. I was very bummed. Ethan and I attend the Balloon event at a local 4th of July last year and LOVED it! I was very excited to see the balloons soaring over the beautiful Valley of the Gods. (I have seen stunning pictures.)
Weekend highlights:
* My parents getting to see the baby. It is always fun to see how cute they are with him (and I can sneak in an extra nap)
* I was able to ride down with my Grandparents (they were on their way to Arizona.) It's always good to visit with them.
* I was able to attend the elementary school fundraiser, eat a Navajo taco, and enjoy young students doing traditional dances. I love seeing those traditions being successfully passed on to the next generation.
* We did get to see the "Balloon Glow" out in the dark desert. (see video)

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos

A couple of low lights:
* Ethan stayed home to work.
* Our pipes froze.
* Our sweet neighbor girl (age 4) has just been diagnosed with a scary leukemia. We love this family next door. Little B has been over a few times to play with the baby. She (and her family) are in for a rough couple of months. We pray the Chemo does its job.

No comments: