Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration 2009

What a historic day. Our TV will be on a lot of the day as Barack Obama's Inauguration Day is documented moment by moment on several channels.

Some thoughts I want my children to know about this day.
  • This is a very historic day. Barack Obama is the first Black American to become president. They show pictures of all the thousands of people in Washington DC, there to celebrate. If you want to know how cold it was, how crowded it was, and the excitement that was in the air, talk to my cousin Arti. She was there.
  • In America, you can be whatever you want to be. This president started out with nothing. He was born to a biracial couple and was partially raised with his grandparents. He was not born to a life of privilege and did not have lots of money to make his dreams happen. Just because you may not have much doesn't mean you can't do wonderful things. It takes HARD WORK.
  • I don't agree with most of what President Obama says. But I will support and respect him as our president. I will do my part to keep my conservative values and ideals living strong in my home and community.
  • I am SO thankful to live in America. I am thankful for our country's Founding Fathers and the way they set up our country. I am thankful for their faith in God. I believe the Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States of America are inspired documents.
  • I pray for our leaders. That they will listen to the people and use their power and popularity to help our country become better than ever.

No comments: