Thursday, August 23, 2007

In Memory

Today was Papa's funeral. It was a nice celebration of his life, and of family. Papa was always a scout. He was a scout as a boy, and a leader for many, many years. He was a member of one of the first troops sent in Korea when the war started. He always stuck to his values, and was blessed for living clean. He had health problems for most of his life, but complained little. I am always a little sad that these great stories and memories are not shared more to honor life before a person dies. I am glad that I have taken the time the last few years to call and thank him for his service to our country on Veteran's Day, I've done my best to listen to his political opinions, even though they differ from mine, and most importantly, I made sure that I never left him without making sure that I told him I love him. I know that he knew that I loved him. We had a great dinner after the funeral. It was a traditional mormon funeral meal complete with funeral potatoes. And boy were they good. I will admit to having thirds. Grandma is tough, but it will be hard to be all alone. She got married at 16, and was with Papa for 54 years.

No comments: