Monday, November 5, 2012

I have Talents- A church talk of sorts)

Yesterday I attended Young Women's.  This is not because I am ages 12-18 but because I have been called as the YW Secretary.) As is often the case, the lesson was very pertinent to my life.

Part of it was reminding us about the Parable of the Talents.  And how too often we don't use or develop our talents and we don't value ourselves the way we should.  It has really been on my mind and here are a couple thoughts that really stuck out to me:

“One of the greatest weaknesses in most of us is our lack of faith in ourselves. One of our common failings is to depreciate our tremendous worth” (L. Tom Perry, “Be the Best of Whatever You Are,” in Speeches of the Year, 1974 [Provo: Brigham Young University Press, 1975], p. 77).

Each day we are faced with our own and others’ traits and attributes. Often we judge ourselves against those we see. Unfortunately, we usually think mostly of others’ strengths and our weaknesses. “The values of faith in God and virtuous behavior … are often rejected by many as worthless. This is a route destined to failure because it does not take into account the powerful importance of the subjective things we can know but not measure. We can know of His existence without being able to quantitatively measure it. Paul states, ‘The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God’” [Romans 8:16] (James E. Faust, in Conference Report, Apr. 1981, p. 9; orEnsign, May 1981, pp. 9–10).

I know I'm not alone in this struggle.

In studying other ideas about this, I found the talk Of Regrets and Resolutions this past General Conference by President Dieter F Uchtdorf
The more we devote ourselves to the pursuit of holiness and happiness, the less likely we will be on a path to regrets. 

He mentioned common Regrets:

  • I wish I had spent more time with the people I love
  • I wish I had lived up to my potential
  • I wish I had let myself be happier


His recommendation was to:
  •  
    Resolve to spend more time with those we love.
  •  
    Resolve to strive more earnestly to become the person God wants us to be.
  •  
    Resolve to find happiness, regardless of our circumstances.
I am grateful for the opportunity I have each Sunday to go to church and remember why I am here and the direction I want to be heading. I have a real testimony that I AM a daughter of a Heavenly Father who loves me. And I do love him. I  will do my best every day to stand as a witness of God at all times, in all things, and in all places. I hope you know this too.  


And to keep it from being TOO much of a church talk... it also reminded me of this silly "Mom Song"

No comments: