
I've thought about blogging about the passing of President Gordon B Hinckley all week. I am watching his funeral now. (Live, no less.) I just haven't thought of anything appropriate of my feelings to say. He will be missed is such an understatement, but what a wonderful life he lived and he WILL be missed. By millions of people. I don't feel I can be sad because I know that he is with his wife and other family members now. I did not know him personally but I knew him as my prophet for so long. I knew his example, his work ethic, his sense of humor, and his testimony. My grandparents knew him personally, and spoke often of his love for his neighbors. I know that I want to be the kind of person he was.
Here's what others had to say:
Austria's National Radio in Austria said this
The passing of President Hinckley was discussed extensively on the “blogosphere.” The day following his death, a new blog post was published about him every couple of minutes. According to Blogpulse, a service that tracks trends in blogs, President Gordon B. Hinckley was the third most mentioned person in the blogosphere on Monday, 28 January.
Diario Buenos Aires(Argentina) “President Gordon B. Hinckley was known as a tireless leader, even at the age of 97, who always dedicated his life to a full-day’s work at the office and traveled the world extensively.”
Larry King, Larry King Live, CNN
President Hinckley was more than a leader of a Church, he was a great friend.
I have met very few people in my life who had his passion, his understanding or his wisdom. He will be sorely missed.
President Hinckley was more than a leader of a Church, he was a great friend.
I have met very few people in my life who had his passion, his understanding or his wisdom. He will be sorely missed.
Glenn Beck left this tribute on Youtube.
Olafur Ragnar Grimsson, President of Iceland
With the death of President Gordon B. Hinckley the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the entire world have lost a great and wise leader, a man of vision and courage.
The people of Iceland have lost a good friend and I offer the Church of Jesus Christ our sincere condolences.
I was privileged to benefit from my many dialogues and discussions with President Hinckley. His visit to Iceland some years ago was among the highlights of my Presidency. I will never forget our farewell in the green fields surrounding my Residence.
Furthermore, his presence and speech in Spanish Fork when the Icelandic community in Utah, the oldest Icelandic settlement in the United States, celebrated its 150th anniversary, were a great homage to the Icelandic heritage and my nation.
His prayers for my late wife, Guorun Katrin, who a decade ago was struggling with leukemia, touched the heart of my family and showed President Hinckley’s profound humanity.
As the people of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints mourn a great President, our thoughts are with you all.
With the death of President Gordon B. Hinckley the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the entire world have lost a great and wise leader, a man of vision and courage.
The people of Iceland have lost a good friend and I offer the Church of Jesus Christ our sincere condolences.
I was privileged to benefit from my many dialogues and discussions with President Hinckley. His visit to Iceland some years ago was among the highlights of my Presidency. I will never forget our farewell in the green fields surrounding my Residence.
Furthermore, his presence and speech in Spanish Fork when the Icelandic community in Utah, the oldest Icelandic settlement in the United States, celebrated its 150th anniversary, were a great homage to the Icelandic heritage and my nation.
His prayers for my late wife, Guorun Katrin, who a decade ago was struggling with leukemia, touched the heart of my family and showed President Hinckley’s profound humanity.
As the people of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints mourn a great President, our thoughts are with you all.
Senator Orrin Hatch eulogized President Hinckley on the floor of the Senate here.
President George W. Bush
Laura and I are deeply saddened by the death of our friend, Gordon B. Hinckley. While serving for over seven decades in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Gordon demonstrated the heart of a servant and the wisdom of a leader. He was a tireless worker and a talented communicator who was respected in his community and beloved by his congregation. As President of his church, he traveled to more than 60 countries to spread a message of love and optimism to the millions of people around the world who shared his faith.
A Mayflower descendent and the grandson of Mormon pioneers, Gordon was a deeply patriotic man. His leadership and service strengthened the Board of Trustees of Brigham Young University, the Boy Scouts of America, and the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City. In 2004, I was honored to present him with the Medal of Freedom, our Nation's highest civil award, in recognition of his lifelong public service.
Laura and I will miss Gordon's friendship and wisdom. Our thoughts and prayers are with his five children and the rest of the Hinckley family.
Laura and I are deeply saddened by the death of our friend, Gordon B. Hinckley. While serving for over seven decades in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Gordon demonstrated the heart of a servant and the wisdom of a leader. He was a tireless worker and a talented communicator who was respected in his community and beloved by his congregation. As President of his church, he traveled to more than 60 countries to spread a message of love and optimism to the millions of people around the world who shared his faith.
A Mayflower descendent and the grandson of Mormon pioneers, Gordon was a deeply patriotic man. His leadership and service strengthened the Board of Trustees of Brigham Young University, the Boy Scouts of America, and the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City. In 2004, I was honored to present him with the Medal of Freedom, our Nation's highest civil award, in recognition of his lifelong public service.
Laura and I will miss Gordon's friendship and wisdom. Our thoughts and prayers are with his five children and the rest of the Hinckley family.
No comments:
Post a Comment