Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sunday drives aren't what they used to be

I have always enjoyed going on Sunday drives.  Down through the red dirt and canyons, or up on the Blue Mountain through the trees.  Some drives were in grandad's truck.  We loved to sit in the back and sing at the top of our lungs.   It was super fun to hop in the van and end up at the beach to watch the sunset.
On the way there we were talking wildlife.  I was curios as to what what living in the woods in Florida.  In my landlocked mind I seem to think of the woods, swamp, and ocean as totally separate habitats. Like shoeboxes sitting next to each other at a science fair.  Real life science tip for the day:  They flow into each other.  Yep.  For real.  So as E was explaining the hand stand spray of the spotted skunk, I saw an alligator.  Our very first gator spotting since moving to Florida over 1 month ago.
You may have thought that it was on the side of the road charging the car by my sqeal.  But I saw his back chilling in the swampy wilderness on the side of the road.  Almost immediately I saw a second gator.  Let the child eating gator dreams recommence.
A few minutes after that we arrived at the beach.  The community of Cedar Key is a fun area.  The beach is rockier than the other beach we went to.  There is an area full of shells and little crabs to chase.  We wandered for a minute and looked at all the seaside restaurants and then stood on the dock and watched the fishermen.  It would have been a lot of fun to see someone catch something, but it didn't happen.  I don't have the patience to fish.  It was very beautiful and there is something so calming about the sounds of the ocean and that ocean breeze.  This is about an hour from our house here in Gville and we will make this trip a few more times while we're here.


No comments: