Thursday, April 3, 2008

Getting back to our new "normal"

Things are starting to settle down around here.  We have a newborn without any hint of routine and a toddler who had Grammy to do his bidding for a full week.  We have a dad getting used to a new job and a mom who is recovering from surgery and a sinus infection.  But things are settling down.  My mom (the Grammy who spoiled the toddler) left on Wednesday just before nap time. She had been here for 8 days, and was SO helpful.  It was nice to have her here.  After a full 10 months of being self-employed freelance, E has taken a job.  I know I got frustrated with him being here all the time, but we miss having him at home.  It seems to be a relaxed environment, which is something he needs. We will appreciate the steady income, but I miss the flexibility his being home allows me.  R misses his dad and his Grammy.  Dad is a lot more fun than mom, and Grammy gives him great things to eat.  But he's still a great kid, and entertains himself well.  We also colored pictures and read stories for a full hour today.  I can't wait until it warms up so we can play outside more.  M is a sweet baby. It is interesting to see how different her personality is from R's.  And I'm feeling better.  (I should be.  I am on painkillers for my incision, plus antibiotics for my sinus infection.) I am up and puttering around the house, probably more than I should be. It really amazes me how different the "tired" feels when I'm pregnant versus the "tired" with a newborn.  I much prefer the newborn tired.  
I do have everything I ever wanted. I need to remember that at the next 3am feeding.

No comments: